Post has all sorts of hidden treasures that you'll need to come and experience for yourself! We have everything from fine clothing boutiques, contemporary gifts and home furnishings, antiques, books, and even an entire store devoted to Christmas and open year 'round! Post has everything for your shopping and gift giving needs.
Come make a day of it! Re-energize after shopping at any of our restaurants. We have everything from quick favorites to fine dining.
A two story apartment building, donated to the Caprock Cultural Association by the family of W. R. and Ruth Little. Ruth Little, prior to her death was a renowned china painter.
The house was originally built in 1913 to house the nurses that worked and trained at the Old Post Sanitarium, which is now the Garza County Historical Museum, just next door to the Heritage House at 109 North Ave, N. in Post. The house had been altered into a boarding house with a total of eight furnished apartments by the Little family. For two years after acquiring the house, it was called "Little House". We later renamed the house to the CCA Heritage House since we were always having to explain that "No, actually, it's not really little."
The Little's purchased the house from their good friends, C.R. and Minnie Greaber who had purchased the house as their home from the Post Company. Mr. Greaber owned and operated the "Red and White" grocery in what is now the Algerita Arts Center. "Aunt Minnie" was well known as the social queen of Post, hosting many events and musicals in her home.
The house has been totally renovated and developed into an "Historical Resource, Research Center" and library. The center has meeting rooms, family history research center, lifestyle exhibits and a fine office for the Caprock Cultural Association.
119 North Ave. N.
The Garza County Historical Museum was originally the Post Sanitarium. In 1964, it was declared a Texas Historical Landmark, in 1966, the Mason Memorial Building and in 1977 was put on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Sanitarium opened for business in 1912, a model institution of its kind, noted as the "first hospital in this part of West Texas" (within a range of twenty-four counties) and the best equipped hospital this side of Fort Worth. Equipment included a laboratory, x-ray room, operating and sterilizing room. The 25 rooms each had its own private baths, central steam heat, electricity and electric call bells. There were two wards, male and female with adjoining baths plus private and professional consulting rooms.
By 1917, WWI took its toll on the Post medical community as the doctors were called to serve their country. Inevitable with all the doctors in military service, the Post Sanitarium closed in 1918. Dr. Ponton, the only doctor left moved to Lubbock to start another hospital. Lubbock General - later to become Methodist, which is now the part of the Covenent Care.
When the doctors finally returned home, everything had changed so much, the facility had detoriated, staff had disappeared, the heating plant was out of date, plumming had gone wackey, other hospitals were in the area. Drs. Surman, Williams, and Castleberry formed a partnership and started their prartice in downtown Post. Castleberry moved to Lubbock eventually and Surman and Williams practiced medicine together for the balance of their careers. The former offices of the duo is now used by the Senior Citizens of Post.
Later the building, was purchased by Marshall Mason, who converted the building into the Colonial Apartments. The property was donated to Garza County in 1967 to be used as a museum by their children, Marshall Mason Jr. and Mrs. James Minor after their parents death.
The last few years, the museum has been renovated with central heat/air, new carpeting, new roof, rewiring, new ceilings, and redecorated rooms. Second floor handicapped access will be joined by exterior handicapped access and other exterior renovations this coming year.
127 East Main Street
Our exhibits change approximately three times yearly, so there’s always something new in the gallery.
The OS Ranch Foundation was created by Giles C. McCrary and family. The museum was built to house the art and artifact collection they have gathered around the world. The gallery is located in the room that was designed as the meeting room for the community, here in the building C.W. Post built in 1911, to house the offices of his Land and Cattle Company.
We hope you enjoy your visit to the Museum. Please tell your friends and neighbors about us. Better yet, bring them with you next time you visit.
Pursuing a longtime dream Chip wrote a musical about the founding of Post City, called "Ragtown," and a one act play entitled "Paul the Apostle." During this same time, Glenn, who had experienced a strong sense of a destiny in ministry as a young man, had that destiny revealed.
A film entitled "Saint John in Exile, "in which actor Dean Jones performs a one-man presentation portraying the apostle John, drew Glenn to commit the rest of his life to ministry, sharing the Gospel through drama. He would begin that ministry performing his brother's play, "Paul the Apostle."
Over the next seven years Glenn and his wife Twila would travel through seven states, to over 260 different churches, Glenn performing "Paul the Apostle" for congregations of every Christian denomination. The play was aired on television, reaching over 2 million households in over 150 countries, including Israel. They would be invited to go to Europe to present the play in three different countries. A video of the play, translated into the Czech language, is now being presented to groups in the formerly communist controlled Czech Republic.
It was during this time that the Lord drew the brothers and their wives together in a vision to build Ragtown Gospel Theater. It would be a state of the art live performance hall, where the Gospel of Jesus Christ would be proclaimed through the arts.
The theater's first production, "Peter the Rock," opened in March 2007, and was performed for over 5000 people, receiving consistently enthusiastic responses from every audience. The play, gospel music show preceding each production, exquisite design of the interior, and the hospitality and warmth every guest experiences is the result of a marriage of the many blessings of talent and ability the two couples have been given.
Located 14 miles east of Post on Hwy 380.
Excellent Dove, Blue and Bobwhite Quail and Wild hog hunting available. Lease or day hunt with lodging in updated ranch house available.
(806)629-4359 or (806)778-0371
Located 10 miles east of Post on Hwy 380
Provide lease or day hunting. Trophy hunts for white-tailed deer, also hunt dove, quail/ blue and bobwhite, and wild ferrell hogs. Lease or day hunts. guided hunts, lodging, and kennels available.
Located 10 miles South of Post on FM Hwy 669 on 20,000 acres. Trophy White tailed deer and Aoudad sheep. Yearly lease available for Quail hunting. Wild hop hunting also available. Fully updated lodge.
Ben Miller, Outfitter & Guide:
Located 25 miles south of Post, Trophy hunts for White-tailed Deer, Aoudad Sheep and Rio Grande Turkey take place on approx. 30,000 acres of private ranchland. Lodge with modern conveniences, assistance with local processing, guided hunts.
Pristine ranch east of Post on Hwy 380 with thousands of acres to roam. Lodge has 7 bedrooms, game room, kitchen, and Great Room. Facilities for kenneling hunting dogs & full service game processing. Fish or hunt dove, quail, white tail deer, Exotics, or wild hog.
Scenic ranch, native pasture and CRP located 17 miles east of Post and just north of Hwy 380. yearly leasing of bobwhite and blue quail, duck, and white-tail deer. Wild hog hunting and fishing also available.
Location: 45 miles south of Lubbock and 4 miles east of Justiceburg on the Double Mountain of the Brazos River. Surface area: 2,880 acres Maximum depth: 100 ft; mean depth 40 ft.
O. Box 744
Post, TX 79456
25 miles south of Crosbyton
on the White River, a tributary
of the Salt Fork of the Brazos
Surface area: 1,418 acres
Maximum depth: 65 ft., mean depth 11 ft.
**This area is experiencing a drought which may affect fishing and boat ramp access. Before you go, check the current lake level or contact the controlling authority for current conditions.